It can be overwhelming to choose from the many charities and nonprofits offering child sponsorship programs. It’s the paradox of choice! – how do you make sure that your gift is going towards a cause that you truly believe in?
It’s incredibly important to make sure that you figure out what cause you want to have an impact on – many people choose their charitable partner for life. And, as humanitarian activist, Dan Palotta says, ‘If you’re going to make a long-term commitment to an organization, even if the money isn’t huge, you owe it to yourself to do this kind of research in the same way you would go to a dealership to test-drive a car’. Here are some questions you can ask yourself, based on Dan’s advice.
1. Where does the charity work?
2. Is the charity registered?
3. Can you get a tax deduction?
4. Are they great with money?
5. Are the programs individual or community-based?
6. Would you prefer to give to a secular charity?
7. How much does the sponsorship cost?
Here’s how Beyond the Orphanage measures up:
- Beyond The Orphanage and it’s subsidiaries are registered in Australia and the USA, and we support children in Ethiopia and Nepal
- We keep administration and fundraising costs small. Check out all of our annual and financial reports here.
- We are a non-denominational charity. We also care for children of any race, religion, gender and physical or mental ability
- All child sponsorship funds raised directly supports the children. One-off and regular general donations are used sometimes to support an entire community. Where BTO sees a need that can benefit the children and the wider entire community – we support the community.
- Our nonprofit is incorporated in Australia and the USA. We can legally provide you with a receipt from Australia if you donate via our Australian portal. We can also provide you with a USA 501 (e)c receipt should you be looking for tax deductibility in the USA